Thursday, August 06, 2009 : 1:57 AM

Claim your prize

I once lived in a house on a bluff with a nice view of Marina del Rey and of a cheap market area with a payphone. My brother and I could tell, with the aid of a telescope, whether that was a man or woman on the path approaching the payphone. My brother, whose voice had deepened enough for him to fake a radio announcer voice, would call the payphone and declare to the person that he or she had won and instruct the person to walk to the Marina Mart (wow, what good fortune for the winner! why, that was right down the street!) and instruct the person to say some secret message to the cashier to claim the prize. My brother would pick some odd word or phrase as the secret message (and we'd grip our faces to stifle laughs). Off the person would go to the market. We'd watch him disappear into the mart and within a minute come out just as fast as he went in.

Comments

Blogger Doris said...

Oh, my goodness, I never knew what you two were up to, did I?

And I suppose that was the best part... Mom thought you were doing homework!

5:18 PM, August 07, 2009