Saturday, October 07, 2006 : 9:42 PM

Messing with nature

In college, I had a very cool bonsai tree. I had grown it over several years from a seedling that was 1 inch high to a 1.5 foot tall, fat and rugged trunked canopy tree.

College. They have a journalism department. They are probably desperate for articles to fill their pseudo newspaper. Maybe they'll write about my little plants. I contacted them and they sent someone over a few days later.

Fortunately, they misspelled my name, and the picture of me and plants ended up as silhouettes against a white background. My comments to the journalist about enjoying working with what God had created to make new things ended up being rewritten as if God didn't do well enough and I was glad to improve things.

Today, I added moss to a bonsai pot. Nothing new or amazing, but for those of you who have never seen something like this, it might be something you want to try sometime.

I found some moss growing under a tree at a park. I scraped a bunch up and brought it home. I sliced the pieces so they were thinner and laid them in place.





Here is one I did last year, so you can see how the moss really greens up nicely in the fall and winter.