Wednesday, June 28, 2006 : 12:51 AM

Flower Power



Last Summer, I observed that the football-shaped buds of the Queen of the Night appeared to open on the day that they reached a certain length. I got all scientific about it, measuring the length of several buds day after day and, blah blah, I now have a little chart that I can hold up next to a flower bud that tells me how many days before that bud will explode into one of these amazing blooms.

The heat wave early in the month triggered the formation of this Summer's first wave of flower buds. So, I got out the chart and determined that they'd bloom around June 27...

Powerful. That's one year, exactly, from the day Dad died. What wonderful timing for Mom and me to have this explosion of life on such an important date.

We have had such enjoyable times around these Summer flowers. These flowers had, since they first bloomed in 2003, been something to share with others. Last Summer was no exception. By word of mouth (okay, and a huge sign I stuck on the lawn, days in advance), people came from blocks away, even from nearby cities; people brought over guests who were visiting them, just to find out what this thing was. The flower became a point of connection, a place for community of friends and strangers who would become friends. It made for long evenings for Mom and me, but we loved it; we loved being with others who wanted to share some new adventure and drink in this wonderful flower.

And that's what we set in motion again this year. The sign was far smaller: "Night-blooming flowers blooming soon! See phoons.com/news". And it did the trick. It was good to see faces from last year and to see new faces, people who'd seen the sign and were just curious (good for them! and they were rewarded!).

It was tough to narrow down an evening's worth of photos. "Do I show the photo with the most people? Show how people are clustered in groups, talking about whatever they enjoy talking about at the moment? Show the variety of people studying and smelling the flower?" I settled on this one that included Mom zipping about, joyfully offering cookies and tea.

The power of a flower. A reason for community, relationships, celebration, life.

Comments

Blogger www.Timelesspainting.net said...

I think that is a beautiful reason to come by and visit with people. If I knew more about flowers I could probably enjoy the magic of it opening at night. Interesting, thanks for sharing!
Renee'

7:04 AM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Dornbrau said...

What a wonderful take on 'flower power', I really enjoyed the story and photos.

8:12 AM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Just gorgeous and such a treat. It was very special for you to invite your community to come together and share this treat. I'm sorry for your loss. Welcome!

Tammy

10:19 AM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Such a treat for you all! Thank you for sharing such rare beauty and community. Welcome!

10:23 AM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

What a wonderful entry -- great story, great flowers, and a new project for next summer!

11:44 AM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne R said...

I am very appreciative of your story of this flower's power in your life -- it's well told and I can see how meaningful it was. Thank you for sharing it with us for this Round Robin.

1:01 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Janet said...

Such a beautiful post, thank you for sharing your thoughts as well as the pictures with us!

This is my first time doing the round robin :-)

1:53 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I have said it before and I will say it again.... These flowers are truly magical. Through them, I have made the acquaintance of you and Doris and you both have enriched my life so much.

Enjoyed visiting with you last night, and you can rest assured that you haven't seen the last of me!

Cheryl

9:36 PM, June 28, 2006  
Blogger TropicRedbird said...

Welcome to Round Robin Challenge, and WOW, what a debut entry! Lovely.
Valorie
http://journals.aol.com/redbird914/RetrospectUSA/entries/1149

7:46 AM, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the RRs!

For some reason the site that's hosting the picture is slow for me. I'll be sure to check back later. But I love the story...

12:36 PM, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Carly said...

Hello John :)

Welcome to the Round Robin Photo Challenges! This was a very touching, and poignant entry for the challenge, and a perfect interpretation! I am so glad you shared this life affirming time with us. :) I can see you will be a fun member of the Robins, and I look forward to seeing more entries from you in the future! Once again, WELCOME!

Always, Carly :)

4:13 PM, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW WHAT A TERRIFIC PHOTO,AND SUCH A RARE AND BEAUTIFUL FLOWER.YOU SHOULD PUBLISH A BOOK ON YOUR STUDY OF THAT FLOWER OPENING UP. WELCOME TO RR

4:12 AM, June 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW WHAT A TERRIFIC PHOTO.YOU SHOULD WRITE A BOOK ON YOUR STUDY OF THAT BLOOM OPENING UP. WELCOME TO RR.LOVED YOUR BLOG

4:21 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

What an amazing story! I really like the picture, too. Welcome to the Robins!

11:23 PM, June 30, 2006