Wednesday, April 28, 2010 : 10:44 PM

Kentucky Fried Salad

What's open after 10 pm? After staying late at work, I was heading home. KFC, a place I rarely go to, sounded fine. They were out of potato wedges, so I doubled the other side I usually settle for: side salad. So, I now had two chicken parts, two garden salads with ranch, and a biscuit with honey.

Apparently this branch appeals to those with a hankering for jalepenos. There was a huge jar. I poked at the change from having just paid for the two piece two sides. Twenty two cents. "Will you sell me a jalepeno for 22 cents?" "Sure."

Back home. The salad is basically shredded iceberg and a handful of tomato bits. Not very nutritious, "so how can I improve this?" There were four sprigs of leftover broccoli in the fridge. And a big jar of shredded parmesan cheese.

Caesar salad has croutons; you can add chicken. Hmm.

I dumped the salads in a big mixing bowl and threw in a pile of parmesan. I chopped up the jalepeno and the broccoli and stirred those in with the packet of ranch dressing. The greasy skin slipped easily off the chicken; I chopped up the chicken (okay, and just a wee bit of tasty fried skin) and mixed that in.

Bisquit. Hm. Sure, why not. Chop, chop, mix. At this point, I have the entire meal blended in a bowl, plus broccoli, parmesan and a jalapeno--everything except the butter and honey. Sure, why not. I added the honey.

This is a really big bowl of chicken salad now. And I'm working my way through it. Not bad! (Do you have to be from California to be okay with such a salad?)