Friday, January 13, 2006 : 8:39 PM

Towel folds

Years ago, when I found a hole in the stiff wire screen of a small under-house air vent, I stuck a rock in that hole. When I found the rock dislodged the next day, it confirmed my suspicion of mouse traffic.

Mom folds her towels in thirds when hanging them in the guest bathroom. Towels are definitely easier to fold in half or quarters. Have you ever tried folding a long towel in thirds? It's harder to get both ends of the towel to work out. But that's how she folded them. And as a gesture of respect, I would go through the effort to get them back into those nice thirds after using them. Did that for years.

One day, Mom asked why I folded the towels in thirds. "Because you do." "Oh, I just do that so that when people hang them back up, folded in half, I can tell the towels have been used and need washing."

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure do have a NEAT mom.

9:33 PM, March 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot. I fold my towels in thirds, too.

Learned it from the same mom. Only I fold mine that way so the towels don;t look so crowded.

And you're right: Getting that bottom to line up right is a trick, isn't it?

9:33 PM, March 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What with kids and company giving me fits over improperly folded towels, I finally gave myself a break...and them too... by hanging all our towels on hooks.

I liked this homey glimpse at the courtesy you BOTH were displaying!

9:34 PM, March 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still feel like I'm being messy if I just fold a towel in halves vs. thirds! :-)

9:34 PM, March 11, 2006