Wednesday, December 21, 2005 : 8:29 PM

Loved you, Papa

I printed several of this last year's status reports in preparation for the current dreary task of forming a self-appraisal for company evaluation. I squared up the pile of printouts and flipped through the stack, skimming the "Issues and Notes" section at the bottom of each status report in search of a particular set of work details. I wasn't expecting to see one of the entries:

Loved you, Papa.


It's been nearly 6 months now. And yet how quickly that lump still forms in my throat. A week or so after my father died, I had written up my status report, giving an account of my time. Accomplishment this, accomplishment that, a handful of meetings. Yet my mind and heart had been elsewhere; my life had been changed. I wanted to say *something* about that in my status report. Status reports are cold, impersonal; not a place to spell out life issues. Who would care? I didn't expect any coworkers to comment, didn't expect any sympathy. It was just something I needed to do, to not forget, to not gloss over the event. In that moment in July, I stuck a symbol of my life into that status report, a detail about what really mattered, like carving my initials and date on a tree: "All this other stuff doesn't matter, Papa. I loved you, and you loved me. I'll remember."

Comments

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's great.

It'll last longer than a Snickers bar in the ocean near Carlsbad.

6 months... who knew Dad wouldn't be with us this Christmas.

Thanks for your initials in the tree of office memos.

I miss him, too. I loved him, and I likewise knew, always, that he loved me.

9:37 PM, March 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A year and one month later... and this article brings that familiar lump into my throat, and the tears begin to flow, and then that weird wail comes up from down deep in my being. Oh how I miss your Papa.
He loved us well. Love, Mom

12:56 PM, July 29, 2006