Saturday, March 12, 2011 : 5:36 PM

Geranium outing

A week ago, I went out at midnight and planted seven geranium cuttings near the Cupertino bridge walkway. It had been raining and the soil was softened--a bit. Using my palm, I would try to push a piece of rebar about five inches into the soil. The soil is hard there, and my palm hurt. I failed in several spots before finding seven places where I made decent holes for the cuttings.

A few days later, Mom announced she'd pruned a bunch of her geraniums. She had filled a couple of buckets with cuttings that I could plant.


Today, we headed over to the bridge with the cuttings.

Mom prepped cuttings (trimming off lower leaves, etc) and laid them out every few feet.


This time, I brought a small sledge hammer to help me drive the rebar.

My technique was this: whack a hole with the short length of rebar, slip the cutting down the hole, whack the dirt next to the cutting (to collapse the hole and press the dirt more tightly around the cutting).

In an hour or so, we had planted 72 cuttings along the fence. We'll be back with more cuttings.

I think the abundance of grasses and weeds there right now will provide a helpful shade while these get started. I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly these bush out. Even more satisfying will be the pink and red blooms in the summer.